Mrs Harold Howard gave five acres of her estate to the people of Kempston for a new recreation ground in memory of her son Addison who was killed in France during the first world war. The park, which was opened on 26th March 1937 by Mrs Howard, was then named “Addison Howard Park”.By the 1950’s, the Church of England Parochial Hall in Bunyan Road was found to be getting too small and outdated. A group of Kempston councillors, business men and local people formed "The Kempston Victory Hall Committee" with the aim of building a bigger community facility. After many donations and much fund raising the new hall was finally built on land set aside for this purpose in the park. The hall was opened by Councillor Basil Copperwheat on the 3rd October 1969, with Mr Arthur Basen as the first Chairman. The hall was originally going to be called Victory Hall, but was ultimately named the "Addison Centre", after Mrs Howard’s son.